- USB audio interface
- Bluetooth HandsFreeLink
- Integrated rear window antenna
- 160-watt AM/FM audio system w/CD player -inc: (6) speakers, MP3/WMA playback, aux input jack, speed-sensitive volume control, radio data system (RDS)
- P205/55HR16 all-season tires
- Compact spare tire & wheel
- Pwr tilt moonroof w/1-touch feature
- Body-colored pwr mirrors
- Body-colored door handles
- 16 alloy wheels
- Variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Multi-reflector auto-off halogen headlights
- Body-colored bumpers
- Coin tray
- Rear seat heater ducts
- Intelligent multi-information display (i-MID) -inc: welcome screen, customizable settings, digital odometer, (2) digital trip meters, clock, average speed, elapsed time, average fuel economy, miles-to-empty, exterior temp, digital fuel-mileage indicators, maintenance minder system, Bluetooth HandsFreeLink info
- Rear window defroster w/timer
- Remote fuel filler door release
- Tilt/telescoping steering column
- Center console w/armrest, storage compartment
- Maintenance Minder system
- Illuminated steering wheel-mounted audio/cruise/phone/i-MID controls
- Pwr door locks w/auto-lock feature
- Cloth reclining front bucket seats -inc: driver manual height adjustment, active adjustable head restraints
- Map lights
- Pwr windows w/driver auto-up/down
- Front/center console 12V aux pwr outlets
- Cargo area light
- Security system
- Immobilizer theft-deterrent system
- Front & rear floor mats
- Rear seat armrest
- Air conditioning w/air filtration system
- Front door pocket storage bins
- Passenger-side seatback pocket
- Remote entry -inc: remote trunk release
- 60/40 fold down rear seatback -inc: adjustable head restraints
- Dual visor vanity mirrors
- Indicator lights -inc: trunk/door-open, low fuel/oil, coolant temp, front passenger front & front side airbag status
- Headlights-on reminder
- Cruise control
- Illuminated driver window/driver door lock controls
- 2-tier instrument panel w/blue backlit gauges -inc: tachometer
- Front & rear cup holders
- Interior remote trunk release w/lock
- Driver footrest
- Front & rear stabilizer bars
- MacPherson strut front suspension
- Eco Assist system
- Aluminum-alloy engine block
- Compact 5-speed automatic transmission w/OD
- Pwr ventilated front/solid rear disc brakes
- 1.8L SOHC MPFI 16-valve i-VTEC I4 engine
- Multi-link rear suspension
- Motion-adaptive electric pwr rack & pinion steering
- Front wheel drive
- Drive-by-wire throttle
- Front & rear side curtain airbags
- Daytime running lights
- Side-impact door beams
- Brake assist
- Child-proof rear door locks
- 2nd row lower anchors & tethers for children (LATCH) -inc: outboard lower anchors, tether anchors for all positions
- Dual front side-impact airbags w/passenger-side occupant position detection system
- 3-point seat belts in all seating positions -inc: front automatic tensioning system, adjustable front seat belt anchors
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Emergency trunk release
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) w/traction control
- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) w/electronic brake distribution (EBD)
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure
- Driver & front passenger dual-stage, multiple-threshold airbags
The new 2012 Honda Civic remains offered in Sedan and Coupe versions. And with several trim levels (DX, LX, EX and EX-L) to suit needs ranging from basic commuter car to compact family tourer--along with the high-performance Civic Si--there's a Civic for nearly every potential small-car need. Meanwhile, those looking for a greener car have plenty of options: the Civic HF, which has the same engine as the base car but a host of fuel-saving measures; the Civic Hybrid, with an updated version of Honda's mild-hybrid system; and the Civic Natural Gas, a special version that's powered by compressed natural gas (CNG).
The 140-horsepower, 1.8L i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine that powers most of the Civic lineup provides perky performance with either the standard 5-speed manual gearbox or 5-speed automatic. All models now have electric power steering that's responsive in feel yet saves fuel. And overall, the Civic is significantly lighter than the outgoing version, thanks mainly to the use of lightweight high-strength steel.
Hybrid models come with Honda's Integrated Motor Assist hybrid system, which pairs a somewhat larger 1.5L 4-cylinder engine with an upgraded 23-hp electric motor and new lithium-ion battery pack. Civic GX models, now badged Civic Natural Gas, come with a 110-hp version of the 1.8L.
Civic Si models appeal to performance enthusiasts with a strong, 2.4L 4-cylinder engine making 201 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque. While still a high-revving engine, this new one makes more torque and accessible power at lower revs. As in 2011, it's offered exclusively with a 6-speed manual gearbox and comes with a limited-slip front differential and sport-tuned suspension, among many appearance and feature extras.
Front side airbags, full-length side-curtain bags, electronic stability control and anti-lock brakes are now included on all 2012 Civic models. There's also a new Motion Adaptive Electric Power Steering system that helps nudge the driver back toward stability, if the computer finds the vehicle in a skid or on the verge of one.
Despite a shorter wheelbase, the new Civic has expanded interior space; cloth upholstery is featured throughout most of the Civic lineup and feels of high quality. Front seats have been completely redesigned for better support--especially the side bolsters. Sedans have a 12-cubic-foot trunk that's more than ample for a long weekend for two or a large load of groceries, while Civic Coupes sacrifice some trunk and rear-seat space for their sportier profile. In most Civic models, the rear seatbacks fold forward for expanded trunk capacity. Both the Hybrid and Natural Gas models have a fixed rear seatback, because of their different packaging needs.
The Hybrid, along with all Civic models but the Si, gets an ECON mode that changes powertrain parameters and is more sparing with the air-conditioning compressor, for better fuel economy. The Civic Si models come with a Power Monitor, for real-time info about engine output. Hybrids now include a more sophisticated i-MID display that helps coach the driver toward more fuel-efficient driving.
All Civic models except the DX now include power windows and an auto up/down driver's window. A keyfob-based remote entry system, with a range of up to 50 feet, is now also included on all but the DX. The LX, EX and Si models also include a power moonroof with sliding sunshade. LX models and better include standard air conditioning, while the Civic Hybrid comes with automatic climate control. New audio systems now include USB interfaces in all but the base DX model, and Bluetooth comes in EX models and above. Finally, the available navigation system in the Civic has been modernized to a flash-memory-based system with turn-by-turn directions and improved voice recognition.
The Civic has been extensively redesigned this year; appearance-wise, it gets a new, more finely detailed evolution of last year's Civic design as well as a reconfigured interior. While the Civic is about the same size, overall, as the previous model, Honda has tapped into more interior space with new seats and door panels along with new instrument panel.
Honda has worked on the Civic's drivetrain to improve it in a number of ways. The new Civic HF aims to provide improved efficiency at an affordable price. Hybrid models get a slightly larger engine this year--1.5 liters--as well as an upgraded electric motor.
The Civic's powerplant lineup has been completely redesigned, with a reengineered version of the 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine powering most of the lineup and a new 2.4L engine powering the Si.
The new Civic also gets extensively updated infotainment systems--including a revised navigation system with voice recognition and live traffic updates, as well as available Bluetooth hands-free interface and a new Multi-Information Display system.